READ & SHOP NOW
Read & Shop Now
Read & shop now
Watch & shop now
Find out more
Last month, three intrepid MECCA Makeup Artists, Janelle, Holly and Ellie, received a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fly to Los Angeles, California and visit Smashbox Studios, the world-class photo studio and home to Smashbox Cosmetics. On the agenda? Swatching, eating, hiking and sightseeing from Santa Monica to Venice to Beverley Hills, and the opportunity to shoot with legendary photographer and Smashbox founder Davis Factor.
At their fingertips (and brushes), the entire Smashbox collection as well as some brand-new shades of Cover Shot Eye Palettes—pigment-packed edits of matte and shimmer shades for bold eye looks. And bold eye looks are what they created. Read on to hear more about the artists’ incredible experience, learn how they created these stand-out looks and try them on this weekend.
TM: We’re so jealous you got to preview the new Cover Shot Palettes! What do you love most about them? Ellie: “There’re very versatile, you can create so many looks using the one palette.”
Janelle: “They are super creamy, full of pigment and are incredibly easy to blend. They are great for travel and, with matte and shimmer shades, they are perfect for creating multiple eye looks.”
What was the best tip you learnt on set with Smashbox? Holly: “The camera doesn’t lie! It’s amazing how much stronger you need to apply products for it to translate on camera. I also had to use a lot more powder than I thought to tone down shine.”
What was it like shooting with Davis Factor?Janelle: “Absolutely surreal. It was a true honour and a pleasure to work with him. He knows exactly how the makeup needs to be tweaked prior to capturing the shot.”
What was the most memorable moment of your trip to L.A.?Janelle: “It would definitely have to be the shoot day with Davis Factor, Lori Taylor Davis and the entire Smashbox team. We were working in one of their studios with several models and a massive team including fashion stylists, hair stylists, a manicurist and even a live DJ to create the perfect atmosphere on set. It was a long day but the vibe was fun, positive and energetic. We had the time of our lives working as a big creative team.”
Created by Holly, this look features a pop of colour on the lids with a drop shadow under the lower lash line. Taking the colour under the eyes is the perfect way to dial up the drama when going from work to weekend. Rock this look to happy hour on a Friday and into the night.
1. Prep and hydrate the skin with Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer followed by Studio Skin Foundation. Perfect any areas using Studio Skin 24-hour Concealer for a flawless base.
2. Add some shape and warmth to the face using Smashbox Contour Sticks.
3. Take the Smashbox Cover Shot Prism Palette and apply the shade Bratmosphere all over the lid up to the socket. Create depth at the lash line using the shade Rocket Star.
4. Tight line the upper and lower lash line using Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner in Raven for a smokey effect. To further smoke out the eyes, take the shade Prismbreak from the Cover Shot Palette and apply to the lower lash line blending quite low. Be sure to blend all harsh lines. For a holographic pop, dab AstroNot and Rocket Star on the inner corners with your fingers.
5. Apply Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Pout to the lips and dab on the cheeks to create a natural flush.
viewing of products
Inspired by the gleaming colours in the Bold Glitter Cover Shot Eye Palette , our artist Ellie created this seventies-esque, disco-ready eye look. The graphic wing is perfect for hitting the dance floor.
1. Start with Smashbox Primer Oil to give the skin a glow followed by Studio Skin Foundation to create a flawless base.
2. Add some definition to the face with Smashbox Contouring Sticks.
3. On the eyes, use Always-On Gel Liner in Fishnet to draw out the shape and act as a base. Press the purple glitter shade (from the Bold Glitter Cover Shot Eye Palette) on top with a silicone paddle brush, leaving the outer corners darker.
4. Finish the look with mascara on the lashes, a gloss on the lips and some blush and highlight.
Using the Petal Metal Cover Shot Palette, our artist Janelle was able to create this pretty rose gold look with soft, diffused hues on the eyes paired with fresh glowing skin and a youthful flush. This look is ideal for a late brunch and a mimosa with the girls.
1. Prep the skin with Smashbox Primer Oil and Smashbox Radiance Primer followed by Studio Skin Foundation and some concealer under the eyes.
2. Using the bronzer from the Smashbox Cali Contour Palette warm up the complexion and apply the peach shades to the high points of the cheek.
3. Prime the eyes with Smashbox Photo Finish Primer to even out the skin tone and enhance the pigment of the eyeshadow. Using the Petal Metal Cover Shot Palette, buff the shade Nude Rose all over eyelid as a base. Apply Rose Quartz on the mobile lid and buff into the crease to create a diffused transition colour.
4. Load an eyeshadow brush with Rose Rocked and spritz it with Smashbox Primer Water to intensify. Pat the colour onto the centre part of the lid to create a halo effect.
5. With a light hand, use the shade Coffee Blossom on the outer edge of the eyelid to create definition. Continue the same colour on the lower lash line to create a ‘drop shadow’ effect.
6. Using Always-On Gel Eyeliner in Brewed, tight-line the upper lid area. Curl the lashes and apply Smashbox Super Fan Mascara for a wide-eyed doll-like effect on the lashes.
7. Finish off the look with Be Legendary Lipstick in Primrose on the lips and a spritz of Smashbox Primer Water to set the makeup.